I stumbled on this recipe by mistake and it’s become one of our family’s favorites!
You see, I’ve been looking for a tasty enchilada recipe for ages, and when I came across this white chicken enchiladas recipe on Pinterest, I thought it might be perfect. Unfortunately — being me — I didn’t pick up green chiles at the store. When I asked Shaina from Food for My Family (my go-to kitchen expert) what I could substitute for the green chiles, her response was, “Uh…nothing?”
Determined to make the recipe, I decided to try my homemade taco seasoning in the white sauce instead. Sure enough, it was amazing!
I use cheddar cheese most of the time since we almost always have a big bag of it shredded in our freezer. Sometimes I’ll splurge and get a Mexican cheese blend, but it really is yummy with just cheddar.
This is a regular on our meal plan, and the best part is that the leftovers are just as good, so they never go to waste (usually we end up negotiating for who gets them for lunch!).
Here’s the recipe:
|Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole||
- 10 soft taco shells
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir in taco seasoning and sour cream. Turn heat to low while you prepare the enchiladas.
- In a small bowl, mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Spoon mixture into the center of each tortilla and roll up burrito-style. Place a single layer in the bottom of a 9×13 pan and top with a small amount of sauce (just enough to wet the tops of the enchiladas). Add a second layer and cover with the remaining sauce. Top with 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
What kitchen mistakes have become your family favorites?
|Mandi Ehman is the founder and publisher behind Life Your Way and the co-author of All in Good Time, as well as a wife and the homeschooling mom to four beautiful girls. She lives with her family on a little slice of heaven in wild, wonderful West Virginia and loves coffee, chocolate, easy meals, beautiful things and minimalist spaces.|