My kids are headed back to school today. While part of me is tremendously excited at the thought of having quiet work time available, I’m sad that summer is coming to a close. I always find myself a bit melancholy thinking of the things I wish we could have done or the activities that just didn’t quite get accomplished.
Still, school doesn’t have to meant he end of enjoying the nice weather and having fun as a family. I’m determined to show the kids know I missed them (even when my brain is screaming “hallelujah for peace”) by welcoming them home with a sweet and easy treat that will keep small bellies content until dinner.
Here is a fun and healthy way to enjoy the sweetness of time together:
|3-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream|
- 4 ripe bananas, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or nut butter
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Cut bananas into 1-2″ pieces and freeze until stiff. To make the ice cream, melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a small saucepan, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the frozen banana chunks to a food processor. Pour the peanut butter and chocolate mixture over the top. Pulse and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
These can be made ahead and refrozen. It will lose some of the soft-serve texture, but it is still soft and able to be scooped.
What after-school snacks do you serve up for the kids when they come running off the bus?
|Shaina Olmanson is the home cook and photographer behind Food for My Family and the author of Desserts in Jars: 50 Sweet Treats that Shine. She is a contributor to Babble.com’s Family Kitchen Blog and the food channel on Lifetime Moms. Shaina can usually be found cooking, at the computer or behind the camera.|